Thursday, January 29, 2009

Mardi Gras

Mardi Gras is coming up next month on February 24 and it is a big deal for those that live in New Orleans. Although most people think of Bourbon street when they think of Mardi Gras there are also other areas of the city where the parade goes through that isn't as crazy and would be more appropriate for families. I have never been to Mardi Gras since we are always in school this time of year, but Rita (Damien's mom) always sends us a King Cake.

King Cake is made up of cinnamon-swirled dough that is braided/twisted together and made into a large doughnut shape. They always top it with frosting and green, purple, and yellow sprinkles. Inside they hide a plastic baby and whoever gets the baby in their piece of the cake is supposed to bring the cake the next year. Damien and I always try to find the baby before the other. We just got our King Cake two days ago and we have been enjoying it! Yay for Mardi Gras!!!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I got the baby twice last year.
My roommate was from New Orleans and so she actually made one...I want to try this year. (P.S. I hope you get it first)

Jennifer said...

That is awesome! My dad is from New Orleans so I remember King cake and gumbo... YUM!