Thursday, June 25, 2009

Yesterday

Yesterday was one of the craziest days ever! My stomach started to ache after dinner on Tuesday night but I didn't think much of it since I have digestive issues and stomach pain quite often. Since it was my half birthday (June 23) I wanted to celebrate a bit. Damien took me to get ice cream from the Creole Creamery and it was delicious. I had peanut butter chocolate which tasted just like a creamy Reese peanut butter cup! I went to bed that night and didn't sleep well at all. I tossed and turned because my stomach was in so much pain. Finally I got up around 2:10 am because I felt like I was going to throw up. And I finally did at 2:30. I haven't thrown up for quite a while. In fact, I don't remember the last time I threw up. I felt better after that though! I went back to bed but woke up around 7 am because my stomach hurt started to hurt again and Damien had to get up to get ready for an early meeting.

Rita and Tricia are putting an apartment in the basement for us to stay in and other when they come to visit. So the guys putting up the drywall also arrived at 7 am and began their drilling and banging. As if the loud noise wasn't enough, next door there was a concrete slab left from the house that was demolished after Katrina. Apparently they are getting ready to build a new house over there because they demolished the slab that same day.

It stared out with a huge machine drilling holes into the platform everywhere. Then followed by the large orange beast of a demolition machine with a large scooper on the front that dug chunks of concrete up and grabbed the pieces to load into the back of the dump truck. I don't know if you have ever been a matter of feet from one of these machines while sick on your stomach laying in your bed watching them out of your window, but it is quite scary. Especially when the big demolition truck thing is slowly tipping over while trying to rip off a too heavy of a chunk of concrete and getting closer to your window by the second. As if this wasn't scary enough, while fearing the demolition beast is going to come through your window and squash you to death, the ground has been shaking for hours as if in an ongoing earthquake. The light fixture and mirror were shaking like crazy and I thought they might drop to the floor from the rumble.

This is kind of what the demolition machine looked like except it was orange.


And they demolition crew didn't finish yesterday. They were back at it early this morning. Finishing the clean-up of the concrete and then they used a bulldozer to plow down all of the dirt that was left at the demolition site. After one hundred sweeps across the dirt and the dishes in the house shaking like made they have finished for the day. I am sure that the next little bit will be great when they start pouring the new foundation next door and building the house!

P.S. I am finally feeling better today and even ate breakfast this morning!

No comments: